Welcome to the Dune Special Edition Project

This is a project I have been slowly working on over the last few years with the goal of ultimately replacing many of the "outdated" special effects shots in David Lynch's 1984 version of Dune.
The project initially began as an endeavor to build a "proper" ornithopter - one with flapping wings, that neither the movie or the mini-series managed to achieve. However, with the advent of the "fan-edit" the scope of the project has expanded with the goal of updating the effects in all those places in the movie where I feel things could be significantly "improved."
Although I am currently working on this by Myself, it's a large undertaking and if there is anyone interested in helping this project along, feel free to contact Me - We might actually be able to get this project completed with a few more skilled and enthusiastic people!

Regards
Sasha Burrow

If you are curious about My professional work, I have been working as a VFX artist (Among other things) at The Asylum for the past 6 years, including visual effects on all 4 Sharknado films (Mainly stuff blowing up!).
CLICK THE LINK TO SEE MY CURRENT SHOW-REEL

DUNE Special Edition: Showreel March 2010

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Harkonnen Frigate ("Hammer Ship")


 
(Click on images for larger view)

I finally decided to get back to working on the Harkonnen frigate over the weekend. I had started it some time ago, but really only had the basic shapes done.
Now with the blueprints I have really been able to get into it!
I start by tracing the blueprints in Adobe Illustrator, then import that into Lightwave, where I can use it to construct the model more easily. So far I have redone the main body... next it's on to redoing the "wings".
I am going to point out that since this is the special edition, the model is also going to be for the special edition - which means it is NOT going to have the long tail section and IS going to be roughly similar in configuration to the Atreides and Emperor's frigates... My logic behind this change is that the Guild uses a standardized docking system in their Heighliners - therefore all ships are roughly the same shape (given some latitude for local deisgn preferences).
The second major change is going to be moving the unseen and unused "Thopter Launch Bays" from the tail of the frigate, to the underside of the "wings"... I think it will fit three thopters per side... but will have to wait until I get both ships to scale.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I know quite a few people seem to like this one... but I really wanted to make it fit the "style" of the other two large ships... so I've cut it down a bit... I think the new looks reflects the Baron a bit more too... sort of fat and pudgy but menacing at the same time with all those gun turrets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I'm a big fan of the design of dune, especially the Harkonnen ship and 'thopter. I thought you might like to have a look at a website I found with some pics of the Harkonnen flagship.

    http://www.duneinfo.com/index.asp

    Good luck and continue with the amazing work,
    p.

    ReplyDelete